What is Betting on Total Goals and How Does It Work?
The “total goals” betting market category has been prevalent for decades both online and in betting shops. The idea of the market is that you wager on the number of total goals during the game. You have two options, and you can bet that the overall goals would be over a previously specified amount of goals, or under that same specified amount. We don’t care about the specific goalscorers, or which team would win the game in the end. All that is important is the total number of goals scored by both sides during the ninety-minute match.
Some bookies offer markets for total goals during extra time or penalty time, but most bookmakers choose to provide only for the 90-minute interval plus stoppage time. If you come across an over/under bet that includes extra time, it’s probably not a mistake, so you should benefit from it if you think you can predict the total number of goals. People also often wonder if “own goals” count toward the overall goals results. We would be happy to answer that question for you and everyone else who Is wondering the same thing. Own goals count toward the total goals market because we don’t care who scores it as long as it’s scored during the time allowed.
The possibility of guessing the correct number of goals is eliminated because the “particular number” we bet over or under is a decimal number, not a whole number. There are different types of total goal bets. We will list the most common ones below:
Over/Under 0.5 Goals
Over/Under 1.5 Goals
Over/Under 2.5 Goals
Over/Under 3.5 Goals
Over/Under 4.5 Goals
Over/Under 5.5 Goals
In this article, we will explore the Over 2.5 goals market more extensively.
Over 2.5 Goals Betting Market
Over 2.5 is one of the most popular of all over/under (total goals) betting markets. Statistically speaking, most punters place a bet over or under the 2.5 goals amount. The over 2.5 goals market means that you are betting that the total number of goals scored during the match plus stoppage time will be over 2.5. You will win only if both teams score three or more goals during the game. The correct score doesn’t matter, and you can win when the scores look something like 2-1, 2-2, 3-0, 4-0, etc. If the game’s score is 1-1, 0-0, or 1-0, you will lose the bet. It doesn’t matter which team scores the goals. It can be only one (3-0) or both of them (2-1). You will win the number of total goals is three or above.
What are the Pros and Cons of Wagering on the Over 2.5 Goals Market?
Like any other betting market, the over 2.5 goals one has both advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is that you won’t have to worry about which team would win the game or who would score the goals, the only thing that matters is the number of the game’s total goals. This takes a lot of pressure off the bettor’s shoulders, and it gives them something to be excited about until the very end of the game. Another main advantage is that over/under 2.5 goals markets get the best odds of all compared to the other over/under types. When considering the disadvantages, we came up with only one, and it’s nothing big to worry about. When placing over/under 2.5 goals bets, the odds are better than the rest. The chances of picking the wrong bet are very high because bookies mostly offer odds from over/under 0.5 goals to over/under 5.5 and 2.5 is precisely the middle of that range.
Things to Consider When Placing an Over 2.5 Goals Wager
There are a few things you need to consider when you want to place an over 2.5 goals bet on a specific match. We won’t go into details, but we are sure you will know what homework you need to do on the game before you place the bet once you read out guidelines.
- Consider if it would be better to wait to place your bet on the in-play over/under market instead of the pre-game one because the odds might be slightly better.
- Pick the best possible odds to place your bet on from what bookies have to offer.
- Know the form of the teams participating before you place the bet.
- Look if the teams ever played against each other before and how those matches ended.
- Are any key players for both teams injured or suspended?
- Wait to find out the player line-ups for the game, which are announced an hour before it starts.
- Search for matches that include two high scoring teams playing against each other to increase your chances of winning the bet.
Tips: How to Place Over 2.5 Goals Bets?
Placing bets on online bookmakers is straightforward. We compiled a list of steps you can follow if you don’t know how to place this specific type of bet:
- Log in to your online bookmaker account. If you don’t have one, you need to create an account, verify it, and deposit funds.
- Navigate to the Football section and choose a match you want to place an over/under bet on.
- Find the section with the over/under markets (sometimes called Total Goals markets, not over/under).
- Click on the Over/Under 2.5 section.
- Click on Over 2.5 goals, and the wager would be transferred to your bet slip.
- Enter a stake amount and click on the final “Place Bet” button.
Duru Saviour (YoungBoss) is the founder and CEO of https://novicmp3.com.ng, he is a web designer and a blogger from Imo State.